Monday, November 26, 2007

Happiness is a Book Fair

Son D. and I just got back from volunteering at the Scholastic Book Fair at Daughter D.'s school. I can't think of a better way to spend a day. Some generous local businesses donated $$ so that *every* kid at the school could get a book. The kids were so excited. We were there when the Kindergarten classes came through. They were so cute.

The poverty level at our school continues to increase each year. When I volunteer at an event like this, it is so noticeable.

The kids get their free book today. They get to go back later in the week to purchase a book with their own money if they want to. I'm torn. This is when the divide between the "haves" and the "have-nots" becomes clear as day. In each class, there are 1-4 kids who can buy another book. The other 12-15 kids can't.

In the past, I haven't let her buy another book at school. (We go to "family reading night" and buy some then.) But now, she has an allowance and free choice. I'm tempted to drop off an anonymous envelope with cash so that all the kids in her class can get another book. But even if I am able to find the spare cash to do that, there are still 15 other classes.

I hear about the ever growing divide between the rich and the poor all the time. I've been hearing about it for years.

It's hard, though, to be seeing it so closely. And I still don't know what to do about the book fair money. We'll see what daughter D. recommends.

No comments: