Friday, April 20, 2007

Earth Day



I spent the day with 400 elementary school students, planting a tree and picking up litter at a neighborhood park. It's my favorite school event of the year.




The mayor even came and the kids listened to a short speech about Gaylord Nelson. (In Wisconsin, we like to pat ourselves on the back on earth day. It was "invented" here, didn't ya know?)

Of course, at 4 pm yesterday...when the Principal called to let me know that traditionally, the PTA President brought 400 ice cream treats for the children to enjoy afterwards....at that point, it was decidedly NOT my favorite day of the year. (Just add another notch to my long belt of "ignorant-first-year-PTA-President" mishaps.)

But, the ice cream treats were successfully procured this morning, 15 minutes before the event, and all is well with the world.

Note to self: in the future, when shopping with two preschool boys, do not think "I'll try the new automated 'self-checkout' to buy my 400 ice cream treats since the regular check-out lines are so long." It will not work out the way you plan. And it will not be faster. Not at all.



But totally worth it, in the end. It was a fantastic day. If these kids are our future, we are in very good hands.

And next year...I'll get the ice cream treats ahead of time.

No comments: