Friday, February 15, 2008

Let's talk about the weather

We've broken the all-time-snow record for Madison. We've had about 80 inches of snow this winter. According to the paper, we've had more snow than Alaska this winter.

What's the forecast for Sunday? That would be 9 more inches of snow!

For much of my life, one of my prized possessions was a T-shirt that said, "I survived the blizzard of '78" Now that I realize that people died during that particular blizzard..that message might be in bad taste. My 10 year old self didn't think of those things. All I knew was that we got out of school for a week.

I'm starting to think I deserve a T shirt for this winter. "I shoveled the winter of '08" or something like that.

And I'm learning why I've never trained for a spring marathon before. Training in this crap? No fun. No fun at all. I'm supposed to run 10 miles on Sunday. How, exactly, does one run 10 miles through 9 inches of snow? Strap on my snowshoes?

The one benefit is ready-made-small-talk. Anywhere you go, *someone* will be glad to discuss this weather with you. That, and the sledding. The kids certainly think this has been the best winter ever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a TON of snow. Here's to the quick arrival of spring!

LisaS said...

holy cow.

here in St. Louis, we're having our third bout of winter weather since New Year's. I don't think that's happened in the 16 years we've lived here.

Except, maybe the winter of 1997-98.