Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Soccer Moms (and dads...)

Son D. is in a U4 soccer league for the summer. Basically, all that means is that 6 kids get on a field, crowd around a ball, and attempt to kick it occasionally. They don't keep score. No one wins. No one loses. They are just there to have fun. And the kids do seem to have a lot of fun.

But the parents. They drive me crazy. Some seem to have great plans for their 3-4 year old offspring. They yell from the sidelines, "Kick it Johnny!" "Other direction, Janie" and so on and so on.

First of all, I don't think the kids can even hear their parents yelling. They are running around, having a good time. I'm not sure the parental voices carry.

Second, I suspect the kids already know to "kick it" - that's basically the whole point of soccer, isn't it? Do the parents think they are sharing a new cutting-edge strategic blueprint here?

And I'm supposed to report that son D. scored a "hat trick" in Sunday's game. (i.e. he scored all three of his team's goals--of course, in the game in which no score is technically kept.)

Three goals and NOT ONCE did either his father or I yell "Kick It, D!" Not once.

2 comments:

Diva Mom Vicki said...

I have to admit, when Bitty played soccer last fall, I was one of those parents yelling from the sidelines.

"Hey, Bitty! Stop chasing your friend Kai around the goalpost and go play some soccer!"

Not once in the 8 game season did Bitty ever get near enough to the ball that there would have been any point in yelling 'kick it!' LOL!

K said...

That's funny!

Trust me, these parents weren't worried about participation. They wanted their 3 yr old to score a goal. now.